Latest Updates on Hunt The West
Idaho Considers Some Decreases in Sheep and Moose Permits
November 26, 2008.
From the Idaho Department of Fish and Game:
The Idaho Department of Fish and Game wants to hear from hunters about proposed changes to the 2009-2010 moose, bighorn sheep and mountain goat seasons.
The public will have opportunities to meet with biologists to review data and make recommendations at regional meetings.
In the Clearwater Region, hunters may visit with Fish and Game personnel about the proposed season changes and provide their written comments at a Sportsmen's Breakfast meeting at 6:30 a.m. December 2 at the Lewiston Fish and Game office, 3316 16th Street.
An open house meeting will follow from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Proposed changes for the Clearwater Region include:
- Decrease the number of moose permits in most game management units and reconfigure the current "partial" unit area boundaries in Units 16A, 17, 19 and 20 and make them each unit-wide hunts.
- Decrease the number of sheep permits in most units, and combine the two hunt areas in Unit 20 into one single hunt area.
- No proposed season changes for Mountain Goat.
In the Upper Snake Region, Fish and Game plans an open house meeting from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. Tuesday, December 9, at the regional office, 4279 Commerce Circle, Idaho Falls. This open house will provide opportunity for biologists to share information and take public comments on the proposed season changes.
Anyone unable to attend this meeting may stop by the Fish and Game regional office from now until December 12 to pick up a copy of the proposals and a comment sheet. Comments also may be sent via e-mail to dmeints@.idfg.idaho.gov. All comments should be turned in to the Fish and Game Upper Snake regional office by 5 p.m. Friday, December 12.
In the Upper Snake Region proposals include:
- Reducing antlered moose permits by 40, from 235 to 195 region-wide.
- Reducing antlerless moose permits by 45, from 115 to 70 region-wide.
- No changes for bighorn sheep and mountain goat hunts.
For details on proposed changes statewide go to the Fish and Game Web site at: http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/cms/public/ under Public Involvement. Or send comments by mail to: Moose, Bighorn Sheep, Mountain Goats, Idaho Fish and Game, P.O. Box 25, Boise ID 83707.
The deadline for comments is December 19.
All comments will be summarized and provided to the Idaho Fish and Game Commission for their review before the January commission meeting in Boise.